Here is how it is done.
What you need:
- 2 lbs. duck meat
- 2 cups okra
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 pint of tomatoes or rotel tomatoes
- 1 can baby shrimp
- 1 package of Boudains
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Worchestershire sauce
- In a large skillet, brown the duck meat in olive oil. Cook SLOWLY and only season with salt and pepper. Cook til no longer bloody, but it should still be pink in the center.
- While this is cooking, grab a large stew pot, fill it about half full of water and start boiling one chopped onion, 1 cup of sliced carrots, and 2 cups of sliced okra.
- This should take about as long as the duck needs to cook.
- Then decrease the heat, add cooked duck meat, one can diced tomatoes or rotel for more spice, a small can of baby shrimp and one package of cut up Boudains. Add your seasoning here, we like Worchestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- While this is simmering, start on the roux.
- Heat 1/2 cup of vegetable oil to medium heat. Once your oil is hot slowly stir in 1/4 cup of flour. Keep stirring and added small amounts of flour until you reach a "gravy like" consistency. After about 10 minutes you should have brown, dry looking roux. Be careful not to burn it.
- Now you can add it to the stew. Let it simmer covered for another 20 minutes. Then lower heat and you are ready to eat.
*Note if you don't have duck meat in your freezer, this recipe could easily be modified by using Polish sausage instead.