I had no idea what a Dutch oven even looked like before we went, but after being shown a few basics I am sure that anyone can cook this recipe without any trouble.
With these ingredients, hot charcoal and a large Dutch oven you can make an awesome dessert with very little effort.
- 5 large apples
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package pastry puffs (for top crust)
- 1 can of Sprite
- Place the apples quartered and cored in the bottom of the pot. Pour one can of Sprite in with the apples. Place number of hot coals on top of and below your oven as recommended for its size and temperature. Ours was a 10 inch pot that we kept at about 425F for about 30 minutes using 18 coals on top and 9 coals on bottom.
- While the apples were cooking we caramelized the sugar on top of a propane camp stove in a metal bowl. Interesting set-up but do-able in a camping or emergency situation.
- We melted the butter, then added the sugar and heated it stirring constantly until it turned brown and caramelized. About 5 minutes on high heat on the camp stove.
- Next we added the caramel to the cooked apples and place the pastry puff sheets on top.
- We put the lid on and let it bake for another 30 minutes.
- When you are baking make sure you turn the pot a quarter turn every 10-15 minutes to keep crust evenly heated.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
I am super excited about this dessert.
Can't you tell?